Edamame Lo Mein
This is a recipe I found doing a random search on the internet, and I’ve eaten it once a week for the past 2 or 3 months. I love it. I just wanted to recommend that everyone I know try it. It’s easy and totally delicious. So check out this recipe immediately.
Lemon Cake with Lemon Curd Filling and Buttercream Frosting
Well, the recipe needs a shorter, catchier name, but it’s still a work in progress. I’ve been craving something lemony for the past week or so and I wanted to make a cake, so this is the result.
The cake itself is based on the Golden Vanilla Cupcakes recipe from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World. I just doubled the recipe, added 2 tablespoons of lemon zest to it and baked it in a 9 inch cake pan instead of cupcakes.
I would say the highlight (and what I am most proud of) is the vegan “lemon curd” filling. I found a few recipes for lemon curd, and I then attempted to make a vegan version of it. I thought it turned out great, although I can’t remember ever having actual lemon curd, so I could be way off base here. I sliced the cake into 2 halves and spread the lemon curd over the bottom half.
The frosting is a combination of Earth Balance Shortening, Earth Balance Margarine, powdered sugar, lemon juice and lemon zest. I added a lemon slice and some more zest as garnishes, and then dug in.
VEGAN LEMON CURD
3/4 cup fresh lemon juice, divided
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
1/2 cup granulated sugar
6 tablespoons vegan margarine, diced
2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- Whisk 1/4 cup lemon juice with the cornstarch and set aside.
- in a small sauce pan over medium-low heat, combine 1/2 cup lemon juice, lemon zest, and sugar. Whisk until sugar is dissolved.
- Whisk is margarine, stirring occasionally for 2 minutes.
- Add cornstarch mixtures and whisk until the mixture come to a bubble, about 3-4 minutes. Mixture should appear thick.
- As soon as bubbles star to appear, whisk in powdered sugar and remove from heat.
- Let cool at room temperature slightly, about 10 minutes.
- Place into refrigerator for at least 1 hour prior to using.