Surprise! More soup! I just love soup, and I refuse to apologize for it. Especially when its so cold outside. Tonight’s soup was delicious. I loved it. You know that Broccoli Cheddar soup at Panera? Well I used to eat truckloads of that stuff, but since it has a few ingredients I’d rather not eat, I’ve avoided it, which is really a shame because creamy broccoli soup is wonderful, especially with a baguette to dip into it. Our dinner did not include bread, but it should have. Next time.
This soup was surprisingly difficult to photograph, which was probably exacerbated by the fact that its so dark in our house right now. While it may not be extremely healthy, it is so good! I will definitely be making this again.
Cream of Broccoli Soup
- 1 cup onion, diced (about half a medium sized onion)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 head broccoli, rough chopped
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup half & half
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- Heat butter over medium heat.
- Saute onion until softened
- Sprinkle flour over onion and stir until flour is absorbed.
- Add vegetable broth and broccoli and bring to a boil.
- Simmer ~10 minutes.
- Puree soup to desired consistency with a blender (I love my immersion blender!)
- Add milk, half & half, and cheese and stir.
- Simmer and additional 5 minutes and serve.
We got the gym out of the way before dinner, so we have an exciting night of couch sitting. I have last night’s episode of Top Chef on iTunes ready to go, and then The Office… so funny!