Hmm. Looking at my cloud tag I’ve realized it looks like I only eat soup and pasta. Oh well, they’re both delicious and cheap! For dinner tonight, I was planning on shrimp and broccoli but I didn’t know in what form. I pondered some stir-fry but I actually don’t really enjoy stir-fry that much. When Brent and I first moved in together he did ALL the cooking, which I’m very grateful for, but we ate a lot of stir-fry. He still makes most Asian dishes in our house. That’s his role: Asian food and eggs. Anyway, back to the shrimp and broccoli. I had some milk leftover from the corn chowder, and a little bit of Parmesan cheese, so I thought a pasta alfredo dish might be good. So that’s what we had. It was delicious, and it made a huge mess in the kitchen so I’m sure I’ll be getting dirty looks about it all night.
I was off on my timing, and while I was waiting and waiting on the pasta water to boil, the sauce thickened up quite a bit more than I would like, but it was still good. I used to order fettuccine Alfredo at restaurants all the time. Of course, once I started cooking and realized what a rip off most pasta dishes are, I refuse to order them knowing I can make them at home for 10% of the cost.
PASTA ALFREDO WITH SHRIMP AND BROCCOLI
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 1-1.5 cups milk
- ~1/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 6 oz whole wheat spaghetti
- 2 cups chopped broccoli florets
- 1/2 lb. peeled and deveined shrimp
- Boil water for pasta.
- Steam broccoli until tender.
- Melt butter in small saucepan.
- Add garlic to butter and saute ~2 minutes.
- Add flour to butter and garlic and mix until flour is dissolved.
- Add milk to roux and bring to a boil.
- Add cheese, salt and pepper to milk mixture and stir until melted.
- Lower heat and let simmer about 5 minutes.
- When pasta water boils, add pasta.
- After 6-8 minutes, add shrimp to boiling water and cook additional 1-2 minutes.
- Drain shrimp and pasta.
- Toss pasta, shrimp, broccoli, and sauce all together and enjoy!