I have said on here many times that my all-time favorite cookie has and always will be: Oatmeal Raisin. I love it. But there may be a new contender in town. Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you: The Cranberry-Orange Oatmeal Cookie!
We had some dried cranberries in the house from the biscotti I made the other day, and we all saw the large quantities of navel oranges I bought. Cranberry and orange as a combination is hardly earth-shattering. They just go together. However, I’ve never had them in a cookie, so I decided to put a new spin on my beloved favorite.
CRANBERRY-ORANGE OATMEAL COOKIES
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) softened butter
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon almond extract (we knew it was coming)
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2.5 cups quick oats
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries
- ~1/3 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- In a small sauce pan, bring the orange juice to a slight boil.
- Add cranberries and lower heat. Simmer 10 minutes.
- Let cool completely.
- Cream together butter, sugars, egg and extract.
- Combine flour through salt and whisk.
- Slowly add dry ingredients to wet ingredients until full incorporated.
- Add cranberry and orange juice mixture, along with zest.
- Fold in oats.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Place tablespoon size drops on baking sheets and bake approximately 12 minutes. Makes approximately 30 cookies.
- Let cool completely.
Amazingly, even after all that grocery shopping for baking supplies, I realized that I had no brown sugar. Devastating, I know. So for the first time ever, today I made my own brown sugar. I made just enough for this recipe, which ended up being 1/2 cup white sugar whisked together with 1 tablespoon molasses until fully combined. Worked out perfectly. 🙂
I love them. Brent’s reaction, “Yeah, I would eat another one of these,” which is Brent speak for “This is an amazingly delicious cookie.” I should probably get them out of the house before I consume all of them. So I have a kitchen full of cookies now, but no dinner. Brent’s been sick all day and I don’t feel so hot myself. I had planned on making another risotto, but I figured all that effort would be wasted tonight since we’re both feeling sluggish and tired and wouldn’t full appreciate the dish. I think we’re just going to order something, but the risotto will likely make an appearance this weekend.