This week’s BSI Contest ingredient is spinach. I was pretty excited, because I feel like, although I’m very familiar with spinach, it is so versatile and something new can always be done with it!
I was thinking all week that sometime this weekend I wanted some mac & cheese. It is one of my absolute favorite comfort food dishes and I’ve just been craving it for a few weeks. Since submission are due Sunday, I decided tonight would be a good time to come up with some sort of spinach goodness. I was thinking of a classic spinach salad with blue cheese crumbles, and I thought a blue cheese mac & cheese with some spinach added in would be a great dish.
Maybe not such a photogenic meal, not much natural light coming into our kitchen at 8pm, but very delicious and tangy! Definitely for blue cheese lovers only! 🙂
I would absolutely make this again. I love the tangy twist on a traditional macaroni and cheese, and of course anytime I can throw some more nutrition into it, even better. It reminded me of mac & cheese combined with creamed spinach. Really yummy. We have leftover for tomorrow’s lunch too! (Assuming I don’t eat more later tonight.) 🙂
Spinach & Gorgonzola Macaroni and Cheese (Serves 4)
- 8oz whole wheat elbow macaroni
- 6oz baby spinach
- 1 cup onion, finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter (I used Smart Balance)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- dash nutmeg
- 2oz sharp cheddar, shredded
- 2oz Parmesan cheese, shredded
- ~3oz Gorgonzola, crumbled
- Boil water for pasta.
- Meanwhile, in a medium stock pot heat butter over medium heat.
- Add the onions and garlic to the butter and saute until softened, about 8-10 minutes.
- Sprinkle flour over onion mixture and stir until flour is cooked.
- Add in milk, salt, pepper and nutmeg and whisk. Bring to a low boil and then low heat to simmer.
- Add in cheese to milk mixture, reserving 2 tablespoons Parmesan and 2 tablespoons Gorgonzola.
- Add pasta to boiling water and then add spinach to water about 1 minute before pasta is done. Drain pasta and spinach.
- When cheese sauce has thickened, add in pasta and spinach to sauce and mix all together.
- Put into a casserole dish and sprinkle with reserved cheese.
- Broil 4-5 minutes until browning and bubbly.